Thursday, February 18, 2010

Getting ready for the Retreat

Last year's Thrive (womens' ministry) retreat was a real highlight in my life.  The most interesting thing about that statement is that it was lovely, just sweet and lovely.  No fireworks...Despite that there were some good lessons and the woman who made the videos we watched was both entertaining and anointed, I can't say I brought away any particular amazing spiritual epiphany.  But the amount of work and thoughtfulness that went into the planning and execution touched my heart in a way far more important even than those very important qualities.  That another woman would love me enough to put that amount of sacrifice into something *just because I would benefit* is astonishing.

That is exactly what happened, though.  The ladies on the Retreat team made arrival gifts and a new "favor" for each session of the retreat.  They made our cute-as-a-button name tags, which I still have and will post a picture of when I find it again.  Those were so darling that I am lusting after a Cricut.  They decorated our tables and shopped for door prizes, making sure that every single one of us "won" a prize.  I'm still enjoying some of the things in my little basket.

Most importantly of all, they prayed for each and every one of us.  They did it fervently and frequently.  And, as proof that God makes "the foolish things of the world to confound the wise," I have carried this time as a very special memory for the past year.  Since I often have to stop an think what I am supposed to write on the signature portion of a check, remembering anything for that long is HUGE.

Tomorrow morning I meet friends to hitch a ride to the other side of the Boston mountains, and we're going to do it all again.  I can hardly wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment